Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Look Back - Part 5 (Finally!)


This is the final installment of a short series.  The intent is to keep these posts brief.  You can read parts 1-4 in the archive.  Thanks for following me on this continuing journey.  :)

PART 5

Pax
Maria B. Davis
It is now 17 years after I made that fateful decision to "stay home" and I am now into the 7th year of this journey of re-discovery.  My "traditional" life really didn't turn out to be all that traditional.  Perhaps no such thing really exists or ever really did.   I am often away, during the day, while my kids are at school, to the dismay of our cat.  My expectations of youth were changed by time and experience, resulting in a current life that I never thought I would have.  

I only have a few years left with my children living at home.  Being present and in the moment for them is important to me.  They, and my husband, are the reason I left my prior life behind-and for the better I must say.  I struggle daily with balancing my family life with the demands of my community of friends and associates.  On most days life is good.  On some days it is incredibly wonderful.  On some days it is horrendous...but I suspect everyone's life is a bit like that.  Now, when someone asks me what I do, I just may answer:  I am an artist, a graphic designer, a sword fighting elf/pirate, community organizer and mom.  I may also add that I am often distracted by bright shiny objects...or a really good project.

No comments:

Post a Comment