Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Look Back - Part 2


This is the second part in a short series.  The intent is to keep the blog entries brief.  You can read part 1 in the archive.

PART 2

Hiding Amidst The Reeds
Maria B. Davis
I mentioned that I have a creative streak.  I guess that's obvious if you call yourself an artist.  (That is a blog post in itself.)  My creative streak is also coupled with a need for accomplishment.  I'm not saying that having my children wasn't an accomplishment.  In fact, I believe having them was the most creative and best thing I ever did, hands down.  After over a decade of marriage, my second and last child entered elementary school.  Shortly after a few more years of volunteering at school, I decided to get back to my roots and fill that time without children with artistic endeavors and some community service.  I became engaged with my community in a way I had never been before.  I embarked on several different projects, some of which still continue today.  Some projects were left behind to open the way for others.    Throughout this process I felt, and at times still feel, the weight of the stereotype of the "stay at home mom".  The name itself is a misnomer for most moms I know - vibrant women who have interests and projects outside of the home.   I have flexible hours, accepting freelance work, so I was and am more available at times when many people aren't.   I know that I am very lucky to be able to be flexible and it was a choice and an agreement made, based on personal and family beliefs and convictions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment